Skip to main content

Memorial Day Weekend - 2008

Kirti was here for the long weekend on friday and went back on tuesday. On saturday about 11 of us went to Taylors Falls for an outing. Went go-karting, alpine sliding and canoeing. Yours truly took a big tumble on the alpine slide resulting in a lot of scratches and scrapes and a trip to the clinic on tuesday for a tetanus injection. It was a while since I got hurt like that and consequently, I was the butt of Mithil and Mukesh's jokes all through the day and that is continuing at work with others pitching in to rub more salt in the wounds.

After the adventurous fall, we went canoeing. Finding the place itself was a big deal as Google maps failed us with wrong directions. One hour of canoeing with Kirti and Harsha/Mukesh almost led to multiple swear words directed at Kirti who was "driving" the canoe and that too, at her leisurely best. She was the one, finally, who steered us back to the starting point with great deal of difficulty and maneuvering.

While only me and Mithil were interested in going in for a second round when "another" tragedy stuck. Everyone slowly agreed for a second round and Kirti went with Mithil's friends. In the last canoe were me, Mr. and Mrs. Suvarna. God only knows what happened but within 10 seconds of all 3 getting into the fateful canoe and just barely getting into deeper waters, the canoe capsized and all 3 of us got drenched. Mithil insists it was my fault and I am adamant I was doing just fine, with "something" happening between Mr. and Mrs. Suvarna. Pallavi didn't take sides with regards to whose mistake it was. Maybe it was her fault. An investigation is underway.

After some fine BBQ and bowling later that night, saturday finally came to an peaceful closure. On sunday, Mukesh took us to the mall and later that night Yogesh, Kirti and me went to Sameer's place. Sameer's hand was taped, Sucheeta's neck was taped and my leg was bandaged. It looked like a dispensary with patients waiting in line for the doctor.

Monday was boring with Kirti not ready to leave the next morning. The night before she leaves is the hardest part as we part ways early next morning. Very early next morning!!!!

She is back in Chicago and I am here recovering from my multiple wounds. I miss my running and the fitness center. Pace of work is 0 mph with no progress for just about 3 weeks now. Time and patience both are running thin. Till I write more, wish me a speedy recovery - health and workwise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go again!

Nearly seven and a half years since my last blog post, and now with the family in India (and me about to join them in a couple of weeks), I am reviving or at least attempting to revive, a passion of mine - blogging. So many things have changed since I last posted; parents visited twice (2016, 2019), in-laws visited once (2017), bought a house (2019), kids grew up (thank you Google photos for reminding us time to time what we created), re-connected with old friends, visited my brother (2021), changed jobs (2022), stayed State-side without a chance to visit India (until now) and of course, a world altering event in March of 2020 that brought everyone to their knees and reset how things are meant to be. While I am eternally grateful to have escaped Covid without any long term repercussions, especially with the family, near and dear ones, all in decent health - there were moments that were truly scary and confusing.  The kids, now 9.5 years old, have grown up so fast - and to see them do w

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore

H_LL_ M_MB__

H_LL_ M_MB__ No, your eyes aren't playing tricks and this is definitely not my version of Wordle. If you are looking for the missing "A, E, I, O, and U" that make up the Hello Mumbai title of this blog, well, I got news for you. They have fallen in one of the million different roads that make up the potholes in dear old  Aamchi Mumbai . Hard-working Mumbaikars might as well hold their backs as they get off an auto or their choice of torture mumbling "AIYYO", day in and day out, to and from their place of business. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I now think that the glitzy high-rises that dot the city's skyline is nothing more than a smokescreen to divert attention of the occupants of a vehicle to avoid looking down at the craters that might put their lives in jeopardy! Hell, screw the moon, ISRO can land the Chandrayaan-3 near Airoli, if it chooses to. Same difference! Rightfully so, we pride on the fact that cashless payments have made humongous strides to make pe