Skip to main content

Joke of the Day!!

Take a guess what it would be. No, just take a random guess. Fine.

Barack Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize. Oh My God!! I almost fell down from my chair when I first read the headlines on TOI. I just couldn't believe my eyes. How could the Committee which decides these (prestigious) awards just handover the Peace Prize (of all the things) to the President of the US, whose country is involved in two bloody battles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One alarming note I read on the CNN website was that the nominations for these awards were were to have gone in on February 1, barely 10 days after Obama's inauguration ceremony on Jan 20th. That was enough to decide if Obama should get the coveted Peace Prize or not??. Apparently, the Committee comprises of quick decision makers. World over, the common topic of discussion is that the Nobel Prize has lost its credibility. Mahatma Gandhi, the ultimate symbol of peace, was not awarded one. That says it all.

I wonder what would have happened had John McCain had won the November elections. It is a fact that McCain was for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, so it might not have been possible for him to win the Nobel.

Talking about Peace prizes, at least our own PM Dr. Manmohan Singh should have been considered for that award since he (and his UPA government) has tried to broker peace with Pakistan for the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai. Either it is a peace initiative (by asking the Zardari government to take action against the perpetrators) or gross inaction on MMS's part is to be discussed separately, but still. The Islamic world might not be too happy with the Nobel Committee's decision about the 2009 Prize. I won't be surprised if in the coming days there is an audio (or video) tape from Al Qaida (through Al Jazeera TV) ridiculing the prizes. Should be interesting. At least, George W. Bush was not considered for this is itself a big accomplishment.

On the topic of Nobel Prizes, it is heartening and proud to see Dr. Venkatraman Ramakrishnan win the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. A "hold your head high" moment for all Indians (Resident and Non-resident alike).

On a totally unrelated note, the other day while coming home from EC, saw an aunty riding a Scooty, wearing a saree, jeans and sneakers cruising on Hosur Road. Guess we know who wears the pants in that household :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore...

Please Help

While I have been blogging for nearly 2 years now and that visitors (like you) are fairly low in number, I would still like to know who you are. Although I know one of my UA friend is a regular here (and yes, it is you Hari), I don't know who are the other frequent fliers. If you choose to remain anonymous, that is also fine, but kindly leave a comment or two in the message box that is on the right side of the webpage. I am trying to get a feel for how often do you stop by. The reason I am asking you to do this is because I need your help. No, it has nothing to do with donations or anything monetary, but here I am in my third month in Bangalore and I am absolutely bored. I need some suggestions to utilize my time efficiently and effectively. Please refrain from suggesting using the gym or joining a book club. These 2 are not my cuppa tea. My mind is 100% blank about extra-curricular activities and I need some 'external' help. One of my closest friends had suggested joining...

Peculiar Observation

Had been to the Hindu Temple today. One of the first things that I noticed about the temple parking lot was that it resembled a used Honda and Toyota car showroom. These two Japanese auto powerhouses have to thank the Indians all around the US for their exceptional sales. And this observation is true about any temple in the US. Pittsburgh Balaji Temple, Aurora Balaji Temple, Lemont Rama Temple etc are the few huge temples that I have visited and have been pleasantly shocked to see the number of Hondas and Toyotas in the parking lots. Lexus and Mercedes are also catching up. Seems the Indian diaspora is not gravely affected by the recession. They were/are smart about the money they earned. Talking about car sales, almost everyone from GM to Ford to Chrysler to Toyota to Honda to Nissan have seen their car sales decline by double digits. American automakers are struggling to sell their "bad" products to the consumers and this time unlike earlier years, the consumer knows better...