Skip to main content

The Greatest Sport...

Most of you know me as a sports buff and so I thought my next post should be about something that I dearly love (Yes, K is No. 1 but still....)

So, is it Cricket? Cannot be. Too commercialized for my taste, too over-rated for my sensibilities, too few teams to really make it a contest/rivalry, too much T20 at all levels, too empty stadiums for Test Cricket - to name a few.

So, is it Golf? Interest level peaked a couple of years back when I was watching the Master's and US Open Championships. Not much interest in the year round tournaments but the 4 Majors are really fun, especially on Sundays, no matter who is the hunt. Almost always produces a spectacle.

So, is it Tennis? Love it to a degree. But beyond the four Grand Slams, there is not much in the tour for me. Rafa has the best muscles, Andy has the best serve, Novak has the best game (and there is no doubt about it) and Roger is well, Roger. Not much love for the women's game (sorry, it's not meant to be a sexist comment but apart from a brilliant and sometimes motivated Serena Williams, there is just not much happening there).

So, is it Soccer? Never had a rooting interest in any clubs but talk to me about the World Cup Finals or the Euro Championships and my Germany support takes over. It's either Die Mannschaft or nothing.

So, is it Formula 1? Had it's peak back in the days of Schumacher vs. Hakkinen, Ferrari vs. McLaren. What energy from the cars and the drivers. Just starting to make a comeback as far as interest level goes now that I am back in India and I get to see the races quite a few times. Doesn't quite make the cut.

So, is it NBA Basketball? We are in range. While I love the sport, (some of) the players, the swagger of the superstars and the Playoffs, it just gives a feeling that a team has multiple chances (best of 7 series) to make a run at the Finals and it's Championship series and that kind of dilutes the competition for me.

So, is it MLB Baseball? Please. It is slower than most sports played (except, Golf, maybe) and players have exorbitant salaries and there is not much intrigue unless you are an American (Indian Americans do not qualify). Playoff Baseball could get interesting but just if your team/city is in the hunt.

Okay, enough of my gyaan about sports.

N.F.L. Football. There. I said it. I can't live without it. You can put me on a deserted island between August and February and I will still find a way to get my daily dose of football. What a sport. Violent yet beautiful. Fast paced yet (sometimes) low scoring. Offense vs. Defense. A fabulous history to boast. 32 teams spread out in 2 competitive Conferences and 4 Divisions each. Rivalry renewed every season. The most talked about sport, richest league in the country, America's favorite past time (easily eclipsing Baseball in recent years) and the most talking heads in the US who have an opinion about everything Football. Ironically, I have never been to a stadium to watch any professional sport, let alone NFL Football, but the TV experience more than makes up for it. The Superbowl, no matter which 2 teams make it, is guaranteed to draw in record crowds. Even a casual watcher reads up on the rules of the game before the Big Dance!!

Sundays and Monday Night in the US are always about Football and K will surely tell you how difficult it was to get me off the couch (Thank God for 2 TVs). In recent times, even Thursdays have Football games (and Thanksgiving Thursday has 3 games). Oh, I love it. Playoff football is so nerve wracking and the knock-out format makes your heart beat a thousand times faster (especially if your team is in it).

The first game I watched was the Superbowl between my New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles in 2005. Patriots won that game and I have been hooked since. Even though the Patriots have lost 2 recent SBs to the hated NY Giants, they still will be my beloved team (You ask K, she will tell you how much I adore the Pats). Each team goes through some great, good, bad and worst times but the fans remain loyal to their teams, such a devotion can be seen only in Euro league soccer.

I haven't watched a single game since the start of the season (you don't realize the heartbreak) but Fantasy Football, ESPN and SI keeps me updated. I wish cable providers in India showed the games but they don't and unfortunately cannot do that just for me.

Have a favorite sport?
Share your thoughts with me. If it is NFL Football, join the gang!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go again!

Nearly seven and a half years since my last blog post, and now with the family in India (and me about to join them in a couple of weeks), I am reviving or at least attempting to revive, a passion of mine - blogging. So many things have changed since I last posted; parents visited twice (2016, 2019), in-laws visited once (2017), bought a house (2019), kids grew up (thank you Google photos for reminding us time to time what we created), re-connected with old friends, visited my brother (2021), changed jobs (2022), stayed State-side without a chance to visit India (until now) and of course, a world altering event in March of 2020 that brought everyone to their knees and reset how things are meant to be. While I am eternally grateful to have escaped Covid without any long term repercussions, especially with the family, near and dear ones, all in decent health - there were moments that were truly scary and confusing.  The kids, now 9.5 years old, have grown up so fast - and to see them do w

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore

H_LL_ M_MB__

H_LL_ M_MB__ No, your eyes aren't playing tricks and this is definitely not my version of Wordle. If you are looking for the missing "A, E, I, O, and U" that make up the Hello Mumbai title of this blog, well, I got news for you. They have fallen in one of the million different roads that make up the potholes in dear old  Aamchi Mumbai . Hard-working Mumbaikars might as well hold their backs as they get off an auto or their choice of torture mumbling "AIYYO", day in and day out, to and from their place of business. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I now think that the glitzy high-rises that dot the city's skyline is nothing more than a smokescreen to divert attention of the occupants of a vehicle to avoid looking down at the craters that might put their lives in jeopardy! Hell, screw the moon, ISRO can land the Chandrayaan-3 near Airoli, if it chooses to. Same difference! Rightfully so, we pride on the fact that cashless payments have made humongous strides to make pe