Skip to main content

Weekend in Chicago

With the summer - or sort of summer - kicking in, pollen season is in full bloom. And just like Phoolan Devi wrecking havoc in her heydays, Pollen Devi was leaving a trail of sneezers and wheezers on the war path. Your's truly truly had a disastrous few days beginning of June emptying boxes of tissues along the way and making Walgreens a tad bit happier with my spending on medications. I cannot remember the years prior to this whether my health was this bad, but I am thinking I am not immune to these allergies. Sundays have been particularly bad - for K - considering I have been bed-ridden almost 2 straight weekends - while she took on the regular Sunday-tasks upon herself. Poor soul :)

But (hopefully) I have conquered the elements now. To celebrate that and the fact that the Taste of Chicago was happening this weekend, K and I decided to make a trip to the city to have some fun with cuisines from Chicago.

After a round of samplers from various outlets, we took a lesson in making tasty Potstickers from Ms. Ying (from Ying's Kitchen - who repeatedly reminded us that she has been teaching Asian cooking for the past 12+ years). The funny part was when she showed us a map of China and to the amusement of the audience indicated that China was shaped like a chicken with no feet. It is actually true - China does look like a chicken with no feet. By the way, did you know that Beijing is the neck and Shanghai is the breast and Ying is from the head.

I must admit that I have never seen quite a few places in downtown even though I have been there a few times. Guess I can check off Buckingham Fountain, Magnificent Mile, Water Tower Place and Hancock Observatory from my bucket list. Beautiful weather and a non-cranky K made my day worth it. What a wonderful city Chicago is to walk and spend a day out with folks who can tag along. Probably the only things left to do in the city is take the architectural tour on a boat and eat at one of the restaurants on the River Walk.

The peace on the ride back home was interrupted by a group of tweeners who kept to themselves (loudly) but didn't do the other tired travelers a favor by keeping quiet and in the process taking the award for Most Obnoxious Person/Group Traveling in a Train.

July 4th weekend is next up and K and I cannot wait to get out of the city. Next up: New Jersey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go again!

Nearly seven and a half years since my last blog post, and now with the family in India (and me about to join them in a couple of weeks), I am reviving or at least attempting to revive, a passion of mine - blogging. So many things have changed since I last posted; parents visited twice (2016, 2019), in-laws visited once (2017), bought a house (2019), kids grew up (thank you Google photos for reminding us time to time what we created), re-connected with old friends, visited my brother (2021), changed jobs (2022), stayed State-side without a chance to visit India (until now) and of course, a world altering event in March of 2020 that brought everyone to their knees and reset how things are meant to be. While I am eternally grateful to have escaped Covid without any long term repercussions, especially with the family, near and dear ones, all in decent health - there were moments that were truly scary and confusing.  The kids, now 9.5 years old, have grown up so fast - and to see them do w

H_LL_ M_MB__

H_LL_ M_MB__ No, your eyes aren't playing tricks and this is definitely not my version of Wordle. If you are looking for the missing "A, E, I, O, and U" that make up the Hello Mumbai title of this blog, well, I got news for you. They have fallen in one of the million different roads that make up the potholes in dear old  Aamchi Mumbai . Hard-working Mumbaikars might as well hold their backs as they get off an auto or their choice of torture mumbling "AIYYO", day in and day out, to and from their place of business. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I now think that the glitzy high-rises that dot the city's skyline is nothing more than a smokescreen to divert attention of the occupants of a vehicle to avoid looking down at the craters that might put their lives in jeopardy! Hell, screw the moon, ISRO can land the Chandrayaan-3 near Airoli, if it chooses to. Same difference! Rightfully so, we pride on the fact that cashless payments have made humongous strides to make pe

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore