Skip to main content

Burn Notice

We finally moved to our own apartment by mid-April. Everything should be hunky-dory right. Well, partly.

Great trail behind the house, with a huge lake and a beautiful setting. Just picture perfect.

Had a major incident last week. As you might have guessed from the title, we had a fire break out in our home. Blame it on the garlic bread or the fact that we had a container with a plastic lid in the broiler. In fact, it had nothing to do with the garlic bread.

Thick black smoke blowing all over the cooking range and a contained flame had me and Kirti running for cover. To make matters worse, the smoke detector in the apartment didn't go off. Rather it was the alarms in the hallway that signaled the fire brigade to pay a visit. Did call 911 for the first time and the response time was great. Couple of cops showed up with a fire extinguisher and quieted the fire. Fire personnel made sure that we won't be using the existing cooking range anymore.

Just that we have been eating out since last Tuesday and the wallet became lighter by $400, I am just glad that we both are safe and unaffected by the fire. Soot had covered pretty much the entire counter-tops, fridge and other appliances near the cooking range.

Thanks to $10 pizza and pasta, dinner at Shaily and Vaibhav's on Friday and Sunny's birthday party on Saturday, we are just managing fine.

While we are tired from all the cleaning, and then more cleaning, I am relieved the ordeal is finally past us.

Till I write more, stay cool and stay away from fire and all things flammable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please Help

While I have been blogging for nearly 2 years now and that visitors (like you) are fairly low in number, I would still like to know who you are. Although I know one of my UA friend is a regular here (and yes, it is you Hari), I don't know who are the other frequent fliers. If you choose to remain anonymous, that is also fine, but kindly leave a comment or two in the message box that is on the right side of the webpage. I am trying to get a feel for how often do you stop by. The reason I am asking you to do this is because I need your help. No, it has nothing to do with donations or anything monetary, but here I am in my third month in Bangalore and I am absolutely bored. I need some suggestions to utilize my time efficiently and effectively. Please refrain from suggesting using the gym or joining a book club. These 2 are not my cuppa tea. My mind is 100% blank about extra-curricular activities and I need some 'external' help. One of my closest friends had suggested joining...

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore...

What can I say..

Nearly a month into our return from “the land of opportunities”, I am trying to figure out the opportunities the Motherland has to offer. Being in India , the key thing I DON’T need to worry about is whether a company has to sponsor a visa for me, but rather will I find the quality of a potential new job satisfying and challenging and of course, how much moolah will I be offered. Having said that, one probably has to fight off the “slave mentality” of Indian managers here and the unsaid requirements of long hours at work (never a handicap but leaving the office at around 5:30 PM might still be considered “half-day” by certain nut-cases totally ignorant about the fact that the work-day began at or before 8:00 AM). Being a firebrand myself, it’s definitely going to be tempting for me to fight back (and I mostly will in my own subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle ways) to such Oppressors when the need arises. Almost every good paying position in my industry and whereabouts seemingly...