Skip to main content

Memmorees from the paast

Sign on an ice cream vendor's stall in Bangalore read "FURIT SALARD". This is pretty damn close to the "I AM SUNAMI" sign in terms of funny captions/postings.

I am going to be on the look out for more of these. While I was in college back in Mumbai, I used to travel via train from Mulund to Kurla and then hop on to an auto to reach VESIT.

Kurla station in Central Mumbai is like a library of real funny & cringe-worthy captions written in English. Pasted on a pillar once was "DO NOT SPIT HERE, PEALEASE". It was literally like some one was pleading not to spit there. Unfortunately, I don't think the message and the PLEASE was strong enough to convince anyone. There was 'fresh' spit all over the hoarding.

One of the most common sights in late-night Mumbai are the Chinese food stalls in possibly every nook and corner of the suburbs. While the food itself would be delicious, you would encounter the most liberal use of the English language just for the word "Chinese". I have seen CHINISE, CHENEES, CHINIS and many more that I don't even remember. Who cares as long as the message is conveyed. The most ironic part about these so-called Chinese food was that they are not even authentic Chinese, a fact that I learned only after going to America. See the irony here, Chinese food, India, America. Ya, you get the point.

Comments

Great trip.The route is as nice as the journey.During the trip you also have to think about shopping places and entertainment places that are easily accessible from hotel.

madona

Popular posts from this blog

Please Help

While I have been blogging for nearly 2 years now and that visitors (like you) are fairly low in number, I would still like to know who you are. Although I know one of my UA friend is a regular here (and yes, it is you Hari), I don't know who are the other frequent fliers. If you choose to remain anonymous, that is also fine, but kindly leave a comment or two in the message box that is on the right side of the webpage. I am trying to get a feel for how often do you stop by. The reason I am asking you to do this is because I need your help. No, it has nothing to do with donations or anything monetary, but here I am in my third month in Bangalore and I am absolutely bored. I need some suggestions to utilize my time efficiently and effectively. Please refrain from suggesting using the gym or joining a book club. These 2 are not my cuppa tea. My mind is 100% blank about extra-curricular activities and I need some 'external' help. One of my closest friends had suggested joining...

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore...

What can I say..

Nearly a month into our return from “the land of opportunities”, I am trying to figure out the opportunities the Motherland has to offer. Being in India , the key thing I DON’T need to worry about is whether a company has to sponsor a visa for me, but rather will I find the quality of a potential new job satisfying and challenging and of course, how much moolah will I be offered. Having said that, one probably has to fight off the “slave mentality” of Indian managers here and the unsaid requirements of long hours at work (never a handicap but leaving the office at around 5:30 PM might still be considered “half-day” by certain nut-cases totally ignorant about the fact that the work-day began at or before 8:00 AM). Being a firebrand myself, it’s definitely going to be tempting for me to fight back (and I mostly will in my own subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle ways) to such Oppressors when the need arises. Almost every good paying position in my industry and whereabouts seemingly...