Skip to main content

Indian Premier League

Last week saw the opening of the inaugural IPL tournament in Bangalore in a match featuring Shahrukh Khan's Kolkata Knight Riders and Vijay Mallya's Bangalore Royal Challengers. Needless to say the multi-million dollar tournament lived up to its hype with the Kolkata team led by Sourav Ganguly thumping Rahul Dravid's Bangalore by a huge margin. Thanks to Brendon McCullum's (NZ) 14-sixes "powered" 158 that set up the victory.

Other teams in the mix include Mumbai Indians, Hyderabad Deccan Chargers, Rajasthan Royals, Delhi Daredevils, Chennai SuperKings and Kings XI Punjab. The franchises should have put some thought into getting a proper and state representative team name for their clubs. Rajasthan Royals is by far the best name. Mumbai Indians is the worst ever. BCCI is going to get more richer and more powerful in ICC circles.

On a personal note, last week I dropped my car off to Kirti's place in Chicago for her to learn and get her DL. She drives quite nicely and is confident to get a license soon. I came back by Megabus which turned out to be a really long and boring return trip with stops at Milwaukee and Madison. Still $30 is a great deal.

Sold off my 5-piece sofa set today for a nice price. The house is quite empty now. Might have to dispose off the bed, box spring and futon mattress as well. After 2 months of heated discussions with the apartment management, it looks like we finally came down to a situation where the owner got what he wanted by making me remove all my stuff from his property and I got what I wanted by not giving into Plunkett's and Georgetown's demands. There are still some nervous moments before I can relax completely. But atleast the major load is off my head. I still think it is a lose-lose situation.

No MNS news to share this time. Looks like even they are into IPL. Surprising that they didn't create a ruckus with the Mumbai "Indians" team name. That would have been some fodder for the media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Night Update

Watched the first presidential debate on friday night between John McCain and Barack Obama. Good timepass on a friday night, if you are into these things. I have been taking a keen interest in politics lately and it keeps the clock ticking for me after I reach home from work.  I am particularly annoyed and irritated at both these candidates on the Iraq war for always ignoring the fact that over 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives. What wrong did they do? And there aren't too many news outlets that are willing to show the plight of (Iraqi) families who lost near and dear ones. That's obvious, isn't it? Barack Obama looks confident and ready moreso that John McCain to lead the United States for the next 4 years. Looking forward to the Joe Biden - Sarah Palin debate this coming thursday. Should be interesting to see Palin talk extempore without a teleprompter.  Back to some sunday night news here. For the first time in few years since I started following football, I felt bore...

Please Help

While I have been blogging for nearly 2 years now and that visitors (like you) are fairly low in number, I would still like to know who you are. Although I know one of my UA friend is a regular here (and yes, it is you Hari), I don't know who are the other frequent fliers. If you choose to remain anonymous, that is also fine, but kindly leave a comment or two in the message box that is on the right side of the webpage. I am trying to get a feel for how often do you stop by. The reason I am asking you to do this is because I need your help. No, it has nothing to do with donations or anything monetary, but here I am in my third month in Bangalore and I am absolutely bored. I need some suggestions to utilize my time efficiently and effectively. Please refrain from suggesting using the gym or joining a book club. These 2 are not my cuppa tea. My mind is 100% blank about extra-curricular activities and I need some 'external' help. One of my closest friends had suggested joining...

Peculiar Observation

Had been to the Hindu Temple today. One of the first things that I noticed about the temple parking lot was that it resembled a used Honda and Toyota car showroom. These two Japanese auto powerhouses have to thank the Indians all around the US for their exceptional sales. And this observation is true about any temple in the US. Pittsburgh Balaji Temple, Aurora Balaji Temple, Lemont Rama Temple etc are the few huge temples that I have visited and have been pleasantly shocked to see the number of Hondas and Toyotas in the parking lots. Lexus and Mercedes are also catching up. Seems the Indian diaspora is not gravely affected by the recession. They were/are smart about the money they earned. Talking about car sales, almost everyone from GM to Ford to Chrysler to Toyota to Honda to Nissan have seen their car sales decline by double digits. American automakers are struggling to sell their "bad" products to the consumers and this time unlike earlier years, the consumer knows better...